Competitions? Click below
Getting the best value for your marketing spend - some simple advice
The ABC Marketing team have put together this basic guide for businesses looking to place an advert in any magazine or newspaper.
We have recently had a number of distressed calls from clients who have been the victim of scams. Always do your research before advertising. Don't let anyone bully you into handing over credit card details.
Reputable publishers will send you a copy of their media pack on request which should include all the information you need to make an informed decision.
Analyse your requirements logically:
- Who do I want to promote to?
- Where are my target audience, and how far do I want to travel?
- When is the best time to advertise my business?
- What is my budget?
Then find out about the magazine:
- How many copies are actually printed?
- Were can I (and my clients) get a copy from?
- How long is the issue valid from?
- How often do they publish?
- Do they have a website and are they using social media?
- Is the publisher well established? Are they VAT registered?
- Have you or your colleagues actually seen the magazine in your target area?
Discuss with the sales person:
- What size advert do I need?
- Who will create the artwork?
- How can I measure the effectiveness of my marketing?
- Ask for a few distribution points and check the magazines are actually stocked at these locations.
- Can you distribute copies from your shop or premises as an added benefit to your regulars?
Avoiding publishing scams
An internet search for the magazine immediately gives you some background and also reveals how easily they are found on-line.
Get references! Make a friendly call to one or two of the advertisers in the current issue of the magazine. See what response they get from their advertising in the publication and listen to what they say about their experience.
Be careful! Some 'publishers' are not what they seem.
Just because they sound plausible, and appear to be part of a big group doesn't mean they're not scammers!
If in doubt, check it out.
Ask for their registered Company Number. Verify it for free at www.companieshouse.gov.uk
20 May 2013
Currently the spring 2013 issue of ABC Magazine is out and about, valid from the 1st March through to the 1st July 2013. Our summer issue is published on the 1st July valid until 1st November when our winter issue will take its place, valid from 1st November through to the 1st March 2014.
Where to get your copy
The best place to pick up your free copy of ABC Magazine is via one of our advertisers who are listed in our Shopping & Services Directory. Please select from the county list below. Alternatively, ABC Magazine is available to pick up from libraries, hospitals, baby clinics, playgroups, shops and selected supermarkets.
Subscriptions are available and make a lovely gift for new mums.Read editorials from previous editions of ABC Magazines